Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WIP Wednesday (New Start)

Click now for JiffNotes

Remember that yarn I bought last weekend? I was "just" going to do a gauge swatch (OK, to be honest my gauge swatches are more like "gauge strips"...I'm way too impatient!) I was so glad the shop lady suggested going down a needle size or two; the fabric is much prettier knit slightly tighter. ("Shop lady" sounds so formal, doesn't it? Like she had her hair up and was wearing heels.) But once I had swatched (stripped...no, wait a minute...) with the smaller needle, it seemed silly not to cast on right away, knowhutimean?

Anyway! Here is the unfortunately (IMO) named "Lolita" cast on, with a few inches done:

The yarn is beautifully NON-splitty, although it is also COMPLETELY non-stretchy, making the s2kp less than fun. But to make up for it, the pattern is simple and a dream to knit otherwise. It's only two rows, and the second is just purling! The repeat is fun, I only ever have to count to four, and then the purl row just ZOOOOOMS along after.

Don't expect a finish soon, though...I'm still plodding along on my Origami Turtle (latest progress pic, Ravelry page). I'm about 1/4 done with my first sleeve. I won't make the finish in a year (le sigh), but it'll be close.

JiffNotes
Hmm, since I hate the name "Lolita" so much, what should I call this thing? Hit me up in the comments with suggestions!

For more substantial WIPs, head to Tami's Amis!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the stitch pattern! Its going to be gorgeous.

Andria said...

I think that pattern looks gorgeous! The yarn just seems so beautiful in the picture, and I know it is going to be even better in person! I'm sorry I'm terrible with names, so I can't help ;)

Christine said...

It is going to be lovely. You could call it Nabokov?

Vivianne said...

I'm not surprised that you couldn't resist casting on with that yarn, it's a lovely color and has a nice sheen :)

HannahW said...

The picture is in the woods. you are using a heather ish color.. so maybe Heater or some other naturey name lol

I found you through WIP Wednesdays. Here is my project of the week: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-bunnys-birthday-dress.html

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Pretty yarn and pretty pattern. Makes me think of a mullioned window so I'd be calling it Mullions!

Shirlee said...

What a gorgeous project!

Melissa said...

Gorgeous start!!

Jenny said...

My goodness - you got so much done!
I propose "Grape Soda" instead of Lolita (I just watched UP!, so grape soda fell into my head right away LOL)

Chris said...

It is so easy to start a new project when you were just going to check the supplies. It is going to be beautiful. The yarn is a great color.

Anonymous said...

Great project!!! So what was your first knitting project - do you remember? I've been wanting to learn to knit (and quilt). My husband says I already have one hobby and that's enough. I recently read in a knitting magazine one lady talk about her first project and how her thoughts were she should pick something she loved no matter how hard instead of just a dishtowel or scarf or something she didn't really love. She picked a sweater and finished it - said she had to take out a lot and redo but she was glad she picked the project she did. And how did you learn to knit?

Dani - tkdchick said...

I'm always envious of all the beautiful knitty things out there, but refuse to start a new hobby!!!

Topcho said...

Love your new start! The yarn and the pattern are lovely. As for the new name.. hmm.. when hearing Lolita my first thought is always Zoro, lol, so ehat about it? XD I always think of the Kaiketsu Zorro anime first and then about Nabokov's book. But grape soda is really cool too, I agree with Jenny!

Kim Sonksen said...

That yarn is gorgeous and the pattern stunning. It will look ace when done.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I vote for Ariadne, she gave Theseus her thread to find the way through the Minotaur's Labyrinth.

It is a very beautiful colour and knit.

Melanie said...

Great start!!!!!!!

Old Geek-outs