Monday, April 16, 2012

Please Stop the Stupid, Groupon

Take a look at Groupon's Earth Day Celebration page here. I'll wait.

Done?

OK, just in case the link doesn't work for you (or it's forcing you to sign up and you don't want to...OR THEY HAVE HOPEFULLY PUT A HALT TO THE CRAZY):

Are you as flabbergasted as I am?? My email to customer service said, in part:
The Egyptians (to pick an old culture at random) would beg to differ with you. And remember that whole Y2K problem we had? Did you know that the "Y" in "Y2K" stands for "Year"?

My mental capacity and imagination are unable to stretch far enough to come up with a plausible explanation for what they're thinking. Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970 in San Francisco, so they can't have meant "40". Even strictly literal Biblical interpretations would say around 6,000! It wasn't a typo, because I got an email with different text that referred to the "400th" birthday and hoping we could make it to our "401st".

MAKE THE STUPID STOP!

[ETA]: Groupon customer service emailed me back and said that the copy was meant to be humorous. What do you think? Did it come across as humorous or just nuts?

10 comments:

pandy said...

I don't get the humour at all in that? It's stupid to say the least.

HAHA THE EARTH IS 400 GET IT? uhh no?

Blu said...

I don't find it funny. I find it really random. Also it actually makes me question their intelligence (which can't be a good thing if they want me to be a customer).

Aimee said...

I got it...but then, I'm a bit kooky. ;)

Unknown said...

I find the earth with arms rather creepy on top of the other insanity!

pinkundine said...

Not funny to me - I don't get what the humour is supposed to even be!

Anonymous said...

No. Its not humorous at all. In fact, I unsubscribed as of that mailer. There has never been any humor prior to today so this was an obvious attempt at some sort of agenda and message by activists who probably also believe in global warming too!

Anonymous said...

Uh, yeah, I started to think this was some wierd, cultish belief. I think I will also be unsubscribing.

Melanie said...

Ummm, I'm in the 'not funny' camp too.............and I HARDLY have a weak sense of humor. It's just weird for the sake of being weird, which is just stupid, IMHO.

James Sweet said...

I'll agree with "not funny", but I also think it's "mission accomplished" for Groupon. If there was actually an underlying joke to get, then people would say "har har" and move on. Instead, everyone is like, "What are they playing at? what happened in April 1612? what is the joke?", and it's all over Google.

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

what is the purpose?

Old Geek-outs