Monday, April 9, 2012

The Geekend That Was, 4/8

Click now for JiffNotes

Let's start talking about the weekend with Saturday, shall we? Because Friday was my first mammogram ever, and let's just say there was screaming (really more like a yelp) and pain for the rest of the day (and most of Saturday). Yes, I am a big baby.

So! Saturday! After an epic Dance Central 2 workout (200 calories!! I can eat another icing-slathered sugar cookie!! This is what fitness is FOR!) I made a grocery list and gave myself an unfortunate pedicure while my fabulous husband ran to the grocery store. BEHOLD:
 
Schwunh? Here's my defense: I wanted bright pink toesies, but it turned out I didn't actually have any bright pink polish. So I went with a purple, but I hated it and covered it up with the only pink I had, a pale pink the approximate color of my skin. Bleah. Sparkles! I will add clear glitter on top...aaaaand...it is still not awesome! I KNOW, POLKA DOTS!

Yeah. It seemed like a good idea at the time. What's so notable about this whole episode is that NOT ONE PERSON in my family mentioned them. Not even one of those non-compliment exclamations like, "Well, look at your toes!" I am not sure if they did not notice (unlikely) or if my toes are just so horrific that they were embarrassed for me. (NOTE: I am not fishing for toenail compliments! They are unworthy!)

No one said anything at work, either...but I work with a bunch of boys, and they don't notice anything, do they?

We met friends for dinner and were going to have to head home early because I needed to chop vegetables for the next day (tight schedule...church then to my sister's, 40 minutes away, by 12:15!!). But our friends said, "We can help chop! Sounds like fun!" (They are unique and lovely people, for sure.) So we got everything chopped in like 15 minutes and then played Dance Central 2 for a while.

After a beautiful Easter service, where I managed to score us seats in the sanctuary instead of overflow because I was paying attention when the usher flashed two fingers, we dashed home and I made a blueberry, raspberry and peach crisp and cut up potatoes to add to the already chopped fennel, parsnips and Brussels sprouts. 30 minutes and a drizzle of olive oil later, I had this:
 
Purple potatoes!! Love it. Also, I've never had roasted fennel before...YUM. I don't think anyone in my family had ever had parsnips before!

It was a great day, topped by a lot of crazy ping-pong (table tennis, for the more civilized).

I did get a few minutes to work on Les Rubans...here's ribbon two in progress next to a completed ribbon one section:
 

Now if you'll excuse me, there are some Cadbury Creme Eggs calling me.

JiffNotes
Most random collection of pictures EVER.

6 comments:

pinkundine said...

I like the polka dot toes personally ;)

Chris said...

It looks like you had a great weekend. The roasted vegetables look great and so does your pedicure :)
Les Rubans is looking amazing.

Autumn said...

I don't bother painting my toenails...I can't find them because they are too small and dorky. LOL

Oh Cadbury creme eggs......my FAVORITE!

Jenny said...

LOL on your pedicure adventure! That said, I think they turned out very cute!

Topcho said...

I think the pedicure turned really cute! And the ribbons are just pure awsomeness, of course :D

Melanie said...

Heeeheeeee! I'm just impressed you put that much effort into your toes. I'm lucky if I can manage one coat of something every month or so on my toes.

Old Geek-outs