Saturday, January 28, 2012

Les Rubans Update

Click now for JiffNotes

I was waffling on what to work on after IHSW, since I managed to wrap up one of the four gardens in Sanctuary (you'll see pictures in a couple days with the Jardin January wrap-up =). So I decided to pull out Les Rubans, since that post got so many comments! In fact, I'd had a vague idea for a while that the first time one of my posts got 20 comments, I'd do an unannounced giveaway. So there's going to be a little something coming to one of the commenters on that post (picked by my randomizer...aka my hubby). I'll keep it a secret until it gets there. 'Cause I'm sneaky that way. ;)

Anyhoo, you wanna see some pictures, doncha? Well, here you go!
 
This is an in-progress picture of the first ribbon that we worked on in class (also first in the instructions). It's also the smallest, which just made it seem like a fabulous place to start. By the way, this piece TOTALLY fits in with Jardin January, for those keeping score at home. It absolutely has many flowers, and flower-like things on it, though I may or may not be working on them at the moment. This picture is the laid base of the background filling stitch plus the first (horizontal) path about halfway done (the pink).

Here's what the motifs looked like before the filling stitch was started:
 
SEE! Completely and utterly flower-like.

And another shot to show how dimensional all this is!
 
I think it's hard to tell now that the filling stitch is in there.
 
Aaaand, this is the horizontal pass done and the vertical pass halfway done. Most of that blue metallic grid is covered up now, but it's still under there lending structure and dimension.

JiffNotes
Totally flower-like.

14 comments:

Squirrel said...

Absolutely beautiful. I love how shiny and 3 dimensional it is, and complex.

Being more of a beginner, maybe intermediate stitcher, I'm always in awe of those who can do more advanced embroidery.

Annie said...

That looks so difficult, especially with those metallic threads. You are doing a beautiful job and I love the colors!

geeky Heather said...

It's all very step-by-step in the instructions, although I will admit the class helped immensely!!

Unknown said...

That is really neat! I had to spend some time studying it, but I think I can see how it was done. Never have tried anything like that, but I bet it is fun!

Joysze said...

Man, Heather... this is one mindblowingly stunning piece. Yup, I see the flowers.... the alien looking flowers. LOL!! Then again, so are orchids, and I adore orchids. :D

Christine said...

That is stunning!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Such a beautifully stunning piece of work. It's gorgeous!

Topcho said...

Oh my, this is just gorgeous! Love the colours and the blink <3

Nic said...

Beautiful!

Jackie's Stitches said...

It's a gorgeous piece Heather!

Rahenna said...

That's so pretty! Great pictures too. :)

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Wow gorgeous stitching :)

Melanie said...

Stunning. It really is. *awe*

Joanie said...

My very talented daughter's hands - but then that's what
I have loved about You all your life ----Xxx Mom

Old Geek-outs