Monday, January 2, 2012

The Geekend That Was, 1/1

Click now for JiffNotes

This report is going to be kind of light...except for one thing! (FORESHADOWING: Your KEY to QUALITY blog posts.) Friday was a day off, and it was the first day we really had to relax the whole holiday season! There was a whole lotta relaxing, and that was good.

Saturday we went to Michael's parents' house for his mom's birthday. We went to see TinTin, which was EXCELLENT. You must go see it. Good, clean fun, and even if you've never read the famous comic, I promise you'll enjoy it. I'm a huge Snowy fan, so I found much to be happy about. The rest of the day we spent playing with our new Settlers of Catan expansion pack that Michael's parents gave us for Christmas, Traders and Barbarians! It was a ton of fun...we played two games and didn't even get to the traders or the barbarians. There are five new scenarios, and those are the last two.

Unfortunately, I started to feel sick on Saturday (didn't keep me from winning the second game, though ;) I barely made it to midnight. Sunday I spent half the day in bed and the other half on the couch (my typical sinus infection type thing). However, that did let me spend a good deal of time beading Dasher...yeah, yeah, I know, it's Jardin January, but as Michael said, "Dasher's got a garland! That's greenery!" Part of Theme-a-licious is the creative designation of favorite projects so fit them into the theme. ;) Anyway, I was too out of it to even consider foraging for a project that wasn't lying right by me. But the good news is that by doing that, I have my first happy dance of 2012!
"PLEASE! No more!!!"
After putting on all the Treasures, I'm pretty sure that Dasher is "dashing" so that no one tries to put any more sparklies on him! =) Now I just need to figure out how I want to finish him. I was thinking a cube, but maybe he deserves to be framed? Or maybe a flat fold? What do you think?

I did make some changes in Dasher's colors if anyone is interested. I thought the original deer colors were too "yellow". I can also tell you the Delica numbers for the Mill Hill beads. Several are used across the eight reindeer, and even if you're just doing one or two, it's a lot cheaper to buy a tube of Delicas.

Today has been another hibernation day, but tomorrow it's back to work. =(

JiffNotes
Being sick is not a great way to start the year, but a finish is.

14 comments:

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Dasher is looking good! He's quite an upscale reindeer, isn't he?

gracie said...

He is magnificent!

Shebafudge said...

Dasher looks fabulous! Congratulations on such a lovely finish. x

Dani - tkdchick said...

Sorry to hear you got sick Heather! I spent about 5 days ill after xmas it really sucked!!!

Dasher looks fantastic!

Chris said...

Beautiful Dasher finish, so much bling!
I hope the sinus thing goes away soon.

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Dasher is practically encrusted! Beautiful, though. Hope you feel better soon! Having been sick several years in a row on either Christmas or New Year's, I'm enjoying being well (for now).

Melanie said...

Hope you feel better soon!!
Dasher *is* quite the dashing fellow. I just love beads on stitchy things. :)

Daffycat said...

Wow, I can't stitch at all if I'm ill. I am so impressed! Feel better soon!

Love your Dasher! The colors look awesome too, good choice.

Delusional Knitter said...

I don't know what the original colors looked like, but what you did is PERFECT for a deer! He is awesome!

Brita said...

Love your finish! It's a great way to start the new year. A cold isn't, so hope you'll be rid of it soon!

Jan Gartlan said...

Dasher is gorgeous. Who designed this pattern please?

cathymk said...

Just gorgeous! Now I want to add a reindeer to my WIPS (I bought all the charts as they came out - I'm just hopeless in that regard). Love all the sparklies.

Sue said...

Huzzah! Huzzah! @ Dasher. He is a stunner! I totally agree with Michael on his garland covering you for January. Gotta like the lateral thinking! I hope you are over the sinus infection and are feeling better.

Karoline said...

Hope you're feeling better now. Dasher is stunning, congratulations

Old Geek-outs