Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Finally, Finally Framed

Click now for JiffNotes

Some people make new years' resolutions in January. I never do that, but I do sometimes look around me and think, gee whiz, why haven't I finished all this stuff that's sooo close to being finished?? (And hey, if you are thinking the same thing right now, you probably should be joining in with Theme-tas-stitch Focus Finish February!) So I finally buckled down and framed a couple things that my long-suffering hubby had cut mat boards for several months ago.

First up, Dancer!
(His glamour close-up shots are here if you missed them.)

I found a frame with a molding that was similar but not exactly the same as his brother Dasher's. Here they are together!

I really had to get into the Wayback Machine to see how long ago I finished the stitching for this next one. Almost four years!! Pathetic. I had a sort of vague idea of how I wanted to frame him, but it took a while for it to marinate in my brain, and then for me to actually search for a square shadowbox frame. I finally had to order it from Amazon.com; there was nothing local and getting one custom made was going to be more than I wanted to spend. Anyway, without further ado, here he is!


I'd like to tell you that I spent hours placing each snowflake, but I'd be lying. That would also be kind of crazy.... No, I just punched a bunch of snowflakes out of some translucent metallic paper and dumped them in the bottom of the frame with some tiny snowballs I found in the miniatures section of a craft store (by the dollhouse stuff!) Then I laced the design on the foam core a little North of center so the flotsam at the bottom wouldn't cover up the stitching.

JiffNotes
Poor Dancer languished for six months before being framed, but that is nothing compared to the poor snowman, who had to wait NEARLY FOUR YEARS for me to do something with him.

12 comments:

gracie said...

Oh my I love the reindeer and the marvelous snowman. I may have to try that framing idea for a Christmas piece I hope to do this year. The snowflakes look so perfectly place!

Tiffstitch said...

Excellent finishes! I love what you did with the snowman, that is so cool! (as she tries to stick this in long-term memory to steal this idea later) ;)

Justine said...

Gorgeous gorgeous finishes! I love the frae with the snowflakes and snowballs in. Perfect.

Kerryp77 said...

Your reindeer look wonderful in their frames. I'm in awe of how you've finished the snowman. Such an inventive way. Thank you for the shout out for theme-tas-stitch too

Renee said...

These are both fabulous finishes! (I love the Jiff Notes too.)

Bea said...

They all look great - love the added touch for the snowman. Must confess I have trouble with the finish finishing too.

Brigitte said...

Great frames you found for both finished projects. And what a wonderful idea to just throw some "snowflakes" between the stitched piece and the glass of the frame. It looks soooooo good.

Julie said...

Great idea with the snowballs and snowflakes, love that.
Perfect frames to compliment the gorgeous reindeers.

Astrids dragon said...

Wow, they all look amazing! Mr. Snowman was well worth the wait!

Gwen said...

The Snowman finish is great. Lovely stitching and framing on the reindeer.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Dasher and Dancer look great together. Good idea to go for similar frames then it doesn't matter if the rest of them don't match exactly either...
I love the idea of the snowflakes at the bottom of the box frame! I am so lucky, our local Wilkos is now selling 8x8 inches box frames as well as the 6 and 12. I may well steal this idea!

Heather said...

Beautiful job on both! The couriers are on my list eventually :)

Old Geek-outs