Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WIP Wednesday (Sapphire Star)


Knitting WIP at yesterday's post!

I'd gotten so bogged down trying to do my self-imposed monthly "assignments" on Random Thoughts that my stitching languished a bit. I decided to just work on what I wanted to work on, which was Sapphire Star!

Before I started this round...
 

...and after. I was so pumped to get to the end of all the boring "lead lines" that I just kept going...I knew awesome COLOR was just around the corner!
 
So excited to start the first filling pattern. This is step 1 of 4 for this pattern. After I did the right side, I decided I wanted to color sequence the piece so that the left side would match. I'm pretty pleased with the result.
 
Color sequencing, as far as I know, is just a fancy name for using fiber pulled from the same length to start the mirror-image section. This trickiest part was that I started the right side with an away waste knot, so I had to determine where in the strand I had actually made my first stitch.
 
I think I nailed it. =)

In the bottom section, I was able to get creative with which way the fiber traveled if it looked like I was going to be off at any of the major switches (like to the turquoise).

I've now put this away for a little knitting!

17 comments:

Jenny said...

You really did nail it - looks awesome! Congrats on a great progress session!

Calophi said...

Wow, that's really impressive! I can't wait to see it done. I don't think I've seen anything like this before.

Florence said...

Absolutely Beautiful!!! I haven't picked up my stitching in so long it's not funny. I have projects neglected in my cabinet. You make me what to get them out and work on them!

pinkundine said...

That looks amazing, I love how you've done the colours :)

Wool Diaries said...

Beautiful!

sara said...

Oh wow! Just freakin' cool!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

That looks to me like you nailed it. It is so very pretty. I love seeing your progress.

Affiknitty said...

The colors are so pretty!

Aimee said...

It's *beautiful*! You're almost tempting me to take up stitchwork again...

Southpaw Stitcher said...

What a spiffy WIP! Looks like it'd be fun to stitch. Love the colors!

Jackie's Stitches said...

You most definitely nailed it! It's beautiful.

Delusional Knitter said...

Beautiful, beautiful stitches!!! I think you got the color matching dead on!

Nic said...

Wow, looks great. Who's this one by?

Kathy said...

I like the design. Beautiful colors.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I'd say you nailed it, too! Very pretty with those lovely gradations of colour.

Anonymous said...

Laura Perin would be proud :D It's an amazing feeling to start adding those splashes of colour - looking forward to watching this one grow! :D

Karoline said...

It's looking gorgeous, great progress

Old Geek-outs