Thursday, March 10, 2016

Loopy Academy Sophomore Year, Semester 2, First Project!

Click now for JiffNotes

I have already finished my first project for Loopy Academy this semester! The assignment was to knit socks whichever way you have the least experience with--toe-up or top-down. Well, since participating in the Cookie A Sock Club for two years, I definitely had more experience knitting top-down! I also knew I wanted a pair in worsted (or maybe sport) for two reasons:
  • I am a slow knitter, so I needed the yardage to be as close as possible to the required 225 yards! Socks knit in "sock yarn" (or fingering) run about 400 yards.
  • The first pair of socks I ever knit, a super-snuggly pair in worsted weight, were very close to giving up the ghost, and my feet get very cold on cold nights!

I cast these socks on in the middle of February and had the heel turned before we went to Disney for my birthday. I finished them on the way down!
Mistake Braid Socks - Ravelry project page

Good thing I brought a "back up" project with me. =) They were mindless to knit, which is a good thing, because we were listening to the novelization of "The Force Awakens" on the way down (MELODRAMATIC NARRATOR IS MELODRAMATIC). I actually cast them off at home, since casting off socks knit two-at-a-time is not that fun in the car. The night I cast them off, my old socks literally fell apart!! Of course, the next day it was almost 70 degrees F. =P

JiffNotes
I have socks! Socks that are way too warm to wear now! Socks that I will probably forget all about until I'm moaning about how cold my feet are this Fall, but won't I be happy to have them then??

11 comments:

Jackie said...

They're gorgeous Heather! They will be a nice surprise when you find them in your drawer this fall.

Heather said...

Beautiful job! I hope they keep you warm!

rosey175 said...

Ooo yay socks! They're what I'm most excited to learn about next in our little knitty group. I love the colorway you chose and you'll be so happy in fall when they pop out of the drawer and remind you they're there. :D

gracie said...

The color and pattern is wonderful...

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice socks!

KimM said...

Wow! Love these socks.
xxx

Kerryp77 said...

Lovely colour yarn.

Rachel M said...

Beautiful socks!

Bea said...

Love the colour and they look so cozy.

Julie said...

They looks so warm and toasty on your feet. Well done on such a super project.

jocondine said...

Great work! I'm curious, how many pair of socks have you ever knit? xxx

Old Geek-outs