Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Geekend That Was, 5/19 (The S is for Shopping, Right?)

Click now for JiffNotes

Did you all see Star Trek?? If you're a Benedict Cumberbatch fan, you MUST. We ended up seeing it Thursday night (around dinner time), which was awesome because the theater was fairly empty so there was no one behind me kicking my seat or making inane comments (well...at least not during the movies...we won't talk about previews), or in front of me checking their text messages. Anyway, it was excellent. I can never get enough Karl Urban (Bones), but at least the Scotty content was good. On a related note, Karl Urban is going to be in a new JJ Abrams show this fall...it looks pretty good.

So! This weekend was International Hermit and Stitch Weekend.
(You can click the picture to see others who were participating.) There wasn't as much hermitting as I thought there'd be! Most of it happened Sunday, when it was disgustingly rainy all day. After church and a very yummy brunch at Octane, featuring The Little Tart Bakeshop (sausage, potato and kale turnover and an apple berry crumble tart...NOM), we headed home and continued trying to repair the milk steamer. We had to give it up as a lost cause, unfortunately. Then I turned my attention to stitching. Well...and knitting. The socks are nearly finished!

I did get some more done on my ornament for the month...
 
...and Toccata I. I am seriously behind!
 

We were out most of Saturday...it was free museum day, so we couldn't resist a trip to the High Museum at that price. =)
 
Afterwards, we went clothes shopping (mainly for Michael, although of course I managed to find a few things!)

And on a completely random note, in case you're excited about new episodes of Arrested Development, here's a guide to help you prepare yourself: previously, on Arrested Development. You're welcome. And, I apologize in advance for the time you'll waste there. =)

JiffNotes
There was stitching, there was eating, there was a movie, there was a modicum of culture. And I managed not to punch anyone when we walked through the modern art (sic) section of the museum! Sorry...art is supposed to inspire emotion, but unfortunately modern art (sic) only makes me very, very angry.

11 comments:

Shirlee said...

Beautiful stitching, I'm with you on modern art, & that tart bakeshop sounds wonderful!

cucki said...

Sweet stitching..
Big hugs for you x

Fiona said...

Stitching looks lovely and yes I have seen the new star trek movie, twice already and tonight was supposed to be a third but the cinema cancelled the showing due to a fault with the film!! :( got a refund a free tickets to go again another night though so it's all ok:)

Annette said...

Loved loved loved Star Trek (saw it Sunday). Adore Karl Urban so we'll definitely be watching the new show :)

Karoline said...

Nice progress on your wips. Star Trek isn't my cup of tea, sentmy DH to see it this weekend

Melanie said...

I'm currently pondering if I have time to basically watch the entire AD run BEFORE the new ones come out so I can be properly prepared for it. IS SO POSSIBLE. lol
I only watched the show off/on when it was originally on due to TiVo/time/space constraints (i.e. you can't watch everything) so I have a lot of catching up to do. I feel like I watched *most* of the last season so maybe I'm good? I did manage a rewatch of Star Trek Reboot #1 to properly prepare for the new movie though. *win*

Anne said...

We did see the new Star Trek film on opening night and loved it! He was great as Khan!! Love Toccata! Wow, there's so many amazing different kinds of stitches in that pattern!

Nic said...

Sounds like a good weekend.
I like how the ornament is coming along

Meari said...

LOL @ wanting to punch someone after seeing modern art.

Stitching looks great. Every little bit counts.

Ziggyeor said...

Pretty Stitching, sorry modern art made you angry. I missed the free art day at the Frist this year.
I haven't seen Star Trek yet. I'm a Zachary Quinto fan and Benny ;)
Maybe I can talk hubs into since we'll be out and about today on our Anniversary.

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Did not know Abrams had a new show out. (Had heard of the show, didn't realize Abrams was attached.) Thanks for the tip! Yes, I'm way behind on blog reading, why do you ask?

Old Geek-outs