Friday, January 25, 2008

Unexpected gift

Click now for JiffNotes

Friday the mail man brought a package for me, and I recognized my mom's handwriting on the label. Mom and Dad are in Hawaii right now, and she had been emailing me about a lace scarf she was knitting. I kept asking to see progress pictures, but she didn't have the right cable to hook her camera to the computer. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found the scarf with a nice note inside thanking me for taking care of things at the house while they are gone! Isn't it beautiful?

It's knit from a yummy alpaca/silk blend. It'll be perfect for wearing in my office if I get cold (I do that a lot, you may have noticed!) I want to block it, because right now it kind of pulls back together and you can't see the pretty lace so well. I've never blocked lace before, though, so I'm not sure what I'm doing. I guess I'll have to use pins. Wires look like the way to go, but I don't have wires, so....

Oh, and my mom sent me the pattern in case you're interested:

Lacey Scarf

Size 6 needles. (7 sts/inch)

Cast On 38 sts.
Row 1 - Knit (this is the right side)
Row 2 - Purl.
Row 3 - K1, (*K2tog.) 3 times, (yo, K1) 6 times, (K2tog.) 3 times;
Repeat from * to last stitch, K1.
Row 4 - Purl.

Repeat Rows 1-4 until length required. Bind Off.

JiffNotes
Wish my mom could have sent some Hawaii sunshine with the scarf...

1 comment:

Jean in Georgia said...

Wowsa!! Very beautiful!! Your mom doesn't want to temporarily adopt another 50-ish daughter for another scarf, does she?? :)

Old Geek-outs