Saturday, June 9, 2012

11 Things

I was tagged by Erin (let'snottalkabouthowlongago) with this cool meme:

The Rules:
  • Post these rules.
  • You must post 11 random things about yourself.
  • Answer the questions set for you in their post.
  • Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
  • Go to their blog and tell them you’ve tagged them. No stuff in the tagging section about you are tagged if you are reading this. You legitimately have to tag 11 people.
11 Random Things About Me: Ugh, it seems like I just did five!! OK, these don't have to be things no one knows...
  • I applied to nine colleges at the insistence of my dad. I got into all nine (including MIT).
  • I desperately wish I could have a cat (or a bunny!) but the hubby is intensely allergic to cats. I'm a little allergic now, but I think I'd get used to it (I had a couple when I was a kid).
  • I used to collect Disney movie trading cards. I'd even buy whole boxes to get the lenticular hologram special cards, and then I'd spend an inordinate amount of time on newsgroups (retro, baby!) trying to sell/trade/complete sets.
  • If I had my way, I would live in a house with a pool. And a backyard.
  • I hate talking to people on the phone. I think at first it was just that I hated to call and interrupt (or be interrupted), but it's even worse now that a lot of people have cell phones. A lot of the time I can't really hear them!
  • My undergraduate degree is in Electrical Engineering. I probably would have done Computer Science if left to my own devices, but my dad only knew completely socially inept people who worked with computers, so he didn't want me to do that. I got my Master's in CS instead.
  • I have never gotten a speeding ticket. This is something of a minor miracle.
  • When I was young I lived on a lake and learned to water ski. I LOVED IT. I DO NOT like snow skiing.
  • I watch more sports than any of the guys I work with on a regular basis (and I don't watch that much!)
  • I have "technically" been a professional actress...I was paid to do a show in college because no one else could do it and I'd already bought tickets to see Phantom of the Opera that night. My "payment" was to make up for the tickets I suddenly couldn't use. =) I've also been paid to do mystery dinner theater, which is a TON of fun.
  • On a related note, most Mystery Dinner Theater attendees could care less about trying to figure out whodunnit. More like whosbringingmorewine. They also think they can "surprise" a confession out of you by suddenly and loudly asking, "YOU DID IT, DIDN'T YOU??" This isn't Perry Mason, people, and no one here really did anything. We don't have guilty consciences and are unlikely to "break down". However, you get a home school prom up in your MDT, and you are going to get GRILLED. You better have your story straight or you'll look suspicious even if you aren't meant to!
My Answers to the 11 questions from Erin:
What is your favorite movie?
IMPOSSIBLE! ONE favorite movie?? I would even have trouble with this question BY GENRE... OR BY GENRE AND STUDIO!!
Musical (MGM): Singin' in the Rain...wait, no: On the Town. NO, Singin' in the Rain. No, no, no...An American in Paris! (See, I can't even pick my favorite Gene Kelly MGM musical! Seriously, though, it's Singin' in the Rain. I think.)
Musical (RKO): The Gay Divorcee
Musical (Paramount): Holiday Inn
Other non-musical favorites: Star Wars (duh =), Galaxy Quest, The Princess Bride, Ever After, The Incredibles, Wall-E (and just about every other Pixar movie)

What is the first movie you remember seeing at the movie theater?
Star Wars, in 1977 (I WAS VERY YOUNG)

Is there a type of movie or an actor/director that you refuse to watch?
Ohhhhh yeah.
Movie: Horror and nearly all parody movies.
Actor: Russell Crowe (although I did see A Beautiful Mind) and Colin Farrell.
Director: Stanley Kubrick and Quentin Tarrantino. I probably misspelled all their names!! =D

What craft or hobby would you try if money and time were no obstacle?
Craft: Japanese Embroidery.
Hobby: Hammered Dulcimer.
Both of those on the "time" front.

Name your favorite kitchen tool.
My KitchenAid stand mixer! For non-electric, my Henckels chef's knife.

What is your favorite type of trip/vacation? Active (like hiking), museums/history, beach, mountains, theme park, etc.
Hmmm, I like them all! In February, we did a relatively active one, but I love museums, I adore the beach, mountains are great, and if you substitute "Disney" for "theme park"...well, I think you know that's a good thing!! I'd add in "cruise" here because almost all the cruises we've been on have been GREAT!

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Australia or New Zealand. Or I'd go back to Japan.

Would you ever seriously consider living abroad? If the answer is no because you now have a family, do you think you would have considered it when you were "young and single"?
I would consider it if a sponsored opportunity dropped into my lap. However, because I can't even imagine the logistics, I'd probably never pursue it!

If you could choose any profession other than your current one, what would it be?
Movie star. LOL!! No, seriously, if money and opportunity weren't factors, I would be on stage. But realistically, I have no idea. With the way work has been going, being a greeter at Wal-Mart is looking awfully good.

What is the hardest thing you've ever done?
Kept going on a hike in 105 degree weather. We were told the hike would be about 25 minutes up an easy slope. It turned out to be NINETY minutes up a steep, narrow trail. We had no water and no money (we were on our way to meet people with a car...long story). And we were in Germany. There were a couple times where the only thing that kept me from giving up and lying down was worry about what Michael would do if I passed out.

When is the last time you felt really free (whatever that means to you)?
Probably when I was a kid during the Summer and had nothing to do but swim all day.

Consider yourself tagged:
Teresa at Girl with Needles
Jean at Baa Baa Knit Stitch
Tracey at Mostly Nerdy Crochet (You can answer at your other blog if you want. =)
Jo at Serendipitous Stitching
Jackie at Jackie Casts On
Melanie at Moonraker Lampwerks
Sharon at It's Daffycat
Carrie at Such Is Life. (my adorable blogging niece =)
Parsley at Seasons of My Mind
Susan at Afford Your Passions
Mel at Wooley Thoughts

Of course, none of you are obligated, and I fully realize some of you may not be "in" to this kind of thing. No worries, I am not offended (in advance). And if you're reading this and think it sounds like fun, I'll add you to the tag list so you'll be all official...just leave a comment. =) And since I'm on vacation AT THIS VERY MOMENT, I'll have to tag you all on your blogs when I return. Sounds like a good thing to do in my imminent jet-laggy stupor.

My questions for my taggees (I'm totally copying some of Erin's because they're good =):
If you could choose any profession other than your current one, what would it be?

What craft or hobby would you try if money and time were no obstacle?

What is the first movie you remember seeing at the movie theater?

What was the last video game you played?

What are you good at? In other words, what makes you unashamedly yell, "I can do that!"

What is your favorite vacation that you've ever taken?

If you could have unlimited money to spend at one store, where would it be?

What's the best book you've read recently? (For Jean, nonfiction. =)

Star Wars or Star Trek? Why? (NOTE: You must pick one. Flip a coin if you have to, and I will be appropriately dismayed. ;)

What's the best Halloween costume you ever wore? Or, if nothing sticks out...the best one you ever saw.

If you had to leave your home quickly what 2 items (besides family, pets, and necessities) would you take with you?

8 comments:

Anne said...

What a great read Heather! Totally what I needed right now :D I really liked "learning the dulcimer" as an option if you had no restraints. Mine would be cello :D

Chris said...

I enjoyed your answers! great to know more about you.

Parsley said...

How cool! I love getting to know more about my online friends. I might just answer some random questions soon. ;-)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Oh Heather this just comfirms how geeky you are! I love it and I love how you embrace it!!!!

I'd love to try Japanese Embroidery too I saw a demo once and its soo cool and gorgeous!

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

Fun meme, Heather.

As for Star Wars or Star Trek - that's a no brainer - Star Wars of course.

Thanks for tagging me! I will have to come up with some witty answers :)

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Wow, that was a while ago! LOL I had completely forgotten about it. (Had a few things happen since then.) Great answers, and great questions!

Jenny said...

That was so much fun to read, Heather! The story about mountain climbing in a hot Germany was terrible - so glad you made it!

The first movie my mom took my sister and me to was "Bambi" - we cried hysterically through the entire move, since Bambi's mother gets shot pretty much in the first scene.... I think my mom still feels bad about that. :-(

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I've re-tagged you because I want to hear how you answer my questions LOL
You only have to do the 11 questions not the 11 facts and 11 taggees heehee.

Old Geek-outs