Saturday, April 8, 2017

Smalls SAL March and a Small Start

Click now for JiffNotes


No idea what the Smalls SAL is all about? Click the graphic above to learn more (and see lovely smalls from others!)

I'm squeaking in under the deadline this month, but I did manage to finish the stitching for a small!

Keep a Secret by Just Nan

I just need to finish the edge and then sew the wool on the back of this, then it will fit nicely in the pretty peacock tin. This is one of the pieces that the Sparkly Compote of Decree gave me for March Madness, and after working on it for a day, I thought, "Now that there is more sun with Daylight Saving Time, I can totally finish this tiny over-one piece!" So I did. =)

I also have a small start on a medium piece; Tiffstitch and I are doing a Wednesday SAL on Nora Corbet's letter "H". Here's my start, just a couple hours of stitching (you know, after stressing out about whether I was "really" starting in the center or not):

Wherever Tiffstitch decides to start, I know hers will not look like mine, because I changed the color of her dress! That blob you see is the bottom hem of it. It's a funky shape because when I stitch with overdyes (especially ones that are as variegated as this one), I complete one X at a time, and I do not stitch in rows. This avoids what Leon Conrad once called the "stripey bacon" effect. Of course, sometimes you want that effect, but I want her dress to look like it's made of flower petals. The floss I'm using is called "Morning Glory" (which is a very ironic choice for stitching my fairy namesake, since mornings and I are not on friendly terms).

Click the graphic at the top of this post if you'd like to see what smalls others have stitched in the past month!

JiffNotes
Thanks to Theme-Tas-Stitch's March Madness, I was inspired to finish a small I started a long time ago!

6 comments:

cucki said...

aww super sweet stitches x

Mary's Thread said...

The peacock is gorgeous! I love it!

Justine said...

That's such a clever idea for your peacock tin! I like your colour change for the Nora letter. Good luck with the SAL.

Tiffstitch said...

Great finish on the peacock and good start! For a second I thought you were stitching the wings part with Vintage Violet, but glad it's the dress, so definitely the center. That's where I started as well. :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The Peacock is gorgeous, such lovely colours, shame to put it inside the tin!

Love the start on H. I saw a conversion on the FB Mirabilia Conversion group where someone had stitched an entire name changing the colours to match. It looked amazing!

Julie said...

Looking forward to watching your colour changed Nora Corbett.

Old Geek-outs