Friday, November 22, 2013

Stumpwork and Stitching Questions

Click now for JiffNotes

I did promise some stitching pictures, didn't I? I did a little bit on my stumpwork piece...it's going to be slow going, but it will be awesome once it's done.
 
Since the light was (marginally) better, I also took a couple closeups to show how dimensional this really is:
 
And I couldn't resist a closeup of the cute little bug.
 
Can I get a SQUEEEE!? Ahem. Sorry.

Bonnie posed some stitching questions she'd gotten off of facecrook, and I decided I'd answer them here rather than blow up her comment feed. =) If you feel like answering them, I'd love to hear your answers, and you can feel free to write world's longest comment or link me to your own blog post. I think there's a part two coming tomorrow.
  1. Which fabric do you most prefer?
    Evenweave is lovely to stitch on, but I prefer how linen looks, so I usually go for the linen. Hopefully I'll spend longer looking at a piece than stitching it. =)
  2. What is your favorite fabric count?
    32
  3. What colour fabric do you most enjoy stitching on?
    In the colder months when there's less sunlight, lighter colors. Otherwise, pretty much any color is great!
  4. What is your favorite fibre?
    Belle Soie...the colors, the way it feels while stitching, and the evenness of the resulting stitches are awesome. Other favorite silks are Hand Dyed Fibers, Au Ver A Soie, Waterlilies and Gloriana. I also really like flower thread or any fiber that lets me stitch with one ply at a time!
  5. How many of the 450 DMC Colours do you own?
    No idea. I don't try to keep a full set. It makes stash diving more fun as I never can pull everything I need. =p
  6. Of your last 5 projects -- how many used DMC/Anchor as the main floss?
    It depends what you mean by "last 5"...last 5 stitched on would be
    Hardanger Ornament (charted for DMC, but I used Hand Dyed Fibers and whatever pearl cotton I had...it may have been DMC, but it may just as easily been Anchor)
    Stumpwork Floral (no DMC at all! AVAS and Cifonda and some other exotic fibers)
    Heirloom Christmas Sampler (no DMC...all silks!)
    Toccata (no DMC!)
    Sapphire Star (one DMC floss and some pearl cotton, mostly Rainbow Gallery)
  7. Of the last 5 projects, if you didn't use DMC/ANCHOR -- what did you use?
    See above...
  8. What needles do you prefer?
    BOHIN! If you haven't used these, they aren't the "prettiest" as far as the eye shape, but they go through fabric like BUTTAH!
  9. What is the UGLIEST design you've encountered?
    This question won't make me any friends here. =) Actually, I can't think of any ugly ones, per-se, but I can think of a number of ALARMING ones I've seen.
  10. What is the most BEAUTIFUL design you've encountered?
    Oh boy...there are a ton of these...I think the last one that knocked my socks off, that I don't already own, is Red by Mirabilia. I love most of the Chatelaine mandalas, too, and nearly every Teresa Wentzler. There are several needlepoint designs that fall into this category as well...I love the Threadles designs!

JiffNotes
Look! Actual stitching not as part of Theme-a-licious update! It's a Christmas miracle! (Too soon?)

9 comments:

Bonnie Brown said...

Yep part 2 is up tomorrow!

Marsha said...

SQUEEEEEE, that bug is adorable!

Chris said...

Squeee!!! Gorgeous little bug.
Interesting questionnaire too.
Have a great weekend!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your stumpwork always blows me away! It's so beautiful! And of course you can have a Squee!

Squeeeeee!

Southpaw Stitcher said...

You'll get two "squees" from me for the bug! And whatever that green thing with the fingers is...
Love your stumpwork--interesting project!

Val said...

Many squees for the bug. That's the cutest thing ever.

Anne S said...

You make me want to go home and drag out my stump work! LOVE yours so far :) love the meme too might have to do those some time later on my blog :)

Melanie said...

The bug is most definitely squee worthy. Can't wait to see more progress pics on that piece. :)

I'm a happy camper with DMC. Sure, I have all the hand dyes but I have the entire run of DMC carded and lined up like soliders in the segmented boxes there. It's just a natural transition from the big box of Crayolas as a kid, right? I like seeing all the rows of colors. Pure happy right there and you never have to worry about dye lots or getting more when you run out, etc. because it's always the same and everyone carries it.

Dani - tkdchick said...

For a bug, that little blue guy is adorable!

Old Geek-outs