So, both Jo and Chiara re-tagged me for 11 Things! (I guess I was asking for it, hunh?) And McKenna also tagged me!
Here are Jo's questions:
1. Watch the film first or read the book first?
This is always a tough decision, but I almost always watch the film first. The main reason is that if I have read the book first (especially if it's recently), I will sit there in the movie theater picking apart what they changed and being miffed about it. After the first Harry Potter movie, where I reread the book RIGHT before seeing the film, I now have a six months to a year moratorium on re-reading a book if a movie's coming out. I think Hunger Games is the best movie adaptation I've seen so far (not counting the entire LOTR trilogy, although I'm still mad there was no Tom Bombadil).
2. Which book would you most like to see made into a film?
Until a few years ago, my answer would have been "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"! Now I'm not sure..."Ready Player One" would be a fun one...or "The Wee Free Men"...oooo, or "His Majesty's Dragon"!
3. Who would play you in the story of your life?
Sandra Bullock. She's got the looks, humor and height to pull it off. =P
4. What was the first live band you saw?
Sadly, due to my sensitive hearing, I've been to see almost no bands live in my life. The first live concert I remember going to was to see Doc Severinsen with my parents when I was still in single digits...I held my ears the entire time and never wanted to go to another concert!
5. Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
Probably Richard Dawson, back in the 80s. It's a long story, but I was "the cute kid" from the audience...my family wasn't on the show.
6. Did you embarrass yourself by blushing/clamming up, saying something stupid?
Well, it depends who you ask...LOL! I did say something which caused me to get teased at school for a while afterwards. (I went to such a small school that OF COURSE they showed the episode to everyone!) I didn't go to school the day the episode aired! Maybe if you all beg me I'll tell the whole story. ;)
7. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner or Breakfast, Dinner and Tea? or some other random names for your meals?
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner...although if I were a true Southerner, I would say Breakfast, Dinner and Supper.
8. Does your family have a word for something which no-one else in the world uses?
My parents would say "eygavaulty" as an exclamation of disaster...actually, I don't even know how that's spelled. No idea where that came from!
9. What is the worst job you've ever done?
Cleaning out a very, very old industrial kitchen that had maggots in it! UGH!!!!
10. How did you get out of doing it?
LOL!!! I couldn't escape, since the poor girl who was helping me had on OPEN-TOED SHOES and I had on tennis shoes. How could I complain?? Eventually, we just decided we'd worked long enough and quit.
11. What is the theme song to your life?
What a great question. "They're Coming To Take Me Away"??? LOL! That's just what it feels like lately. I have a crazy habit of making up tunes and lyrics for random things I'm doing and singing them as I go through the house. Kind of like I'm in an opera, except without all the vibrato. The hubby calls it "endearing," I think.
And now for Chiara's:
1. how long is it since you’ve last played, sat on the floor, with a kid?
It has been a while...probably since my niece was 5, so 5 years!!
2. your favourite school trip?
When I was a senior in high school, we went on a Spring Break trip to Mexico...Mexico City, Taxco and Acapulco. Since our only other school trips were to Memphis (Tennessee...to Mud Island) and to a local museum, this was definitely the winner. =) Since I was terrified or getting sunburned (I am VERY PALE, in case you hadn't noticed), I wore sun protection at all times and only spent 20 minutes per day in the sun. I had the best tan of my life when I got home! (I usually just burn.)
3. when you go to sleep, do you wake up in the same position, or do you find blankets and pillows all over the place?
Same position...on my back. I can't go to sleep if I'm on my side!
4. shades, hat or both?
Depends on the situation, but usually just shades. I do love hats, though!
5. was there a time you thought “I wish I was born there!”, if so when/where was it?
Hmmm...I can't think of one. I do love visiting places, but I am always happy to come home. Although, since I was born in the middle of a blizzard (in Michigan), almost any place would be preferable!! Hmmm, maybe I should say Hawaii, because I'd love to live there!!
6. do you know how to make candy corn? could you tell me? I’ve never tried it! (if candy corn is not traditional in your country, could you tell me how to make something you’re thinking is way better than candy corn )
LOL! No idea how to make candy corn. But if you want something really Really REALLY sweet, here is a recipe for pralines (popular in the South US): Pralines (I must add a caveat that I have not tried this one, although it's on the list! I picked it because someone said it tasted like the ones my favorite shop makes!)
7. how many years have you been stitching? did you learn by yourself or did someone help you along the way to the stitching madness it’s nowadays?
I think I learned to stitch when I was 7 or 8, with my mom. We had a little "how to" kit that was an owl sitting on a branch. Everyone I've talked to that stitches "backwards" like me (the top leg of my "X" goes like /) remembers this kit! =) I had some time "off" from stitching in high school and college. Then I found Teresa Wentzler. =)
8. the perfect sandwich: what is in it?
Nice roasted chicken (no deli meat! too salty!), cut thick, lots of basil (basilico =) or pesto, gruyere cheese, spinach or arugula, sweet ripe tomato slices, and maybe some good Dijon mustard if there's no pesto. It also needs to be on some good, seedy or nutty bread. Perfect would be this bread I had in Prague which was called "Italian bread"...full of sunflower seeds. Our waiter told me it was way too healthy for Czech food! =D This sandwich only exists in my mind...who wants to make me one??
9. honestly, do you think ironing our clothes is really necessary? how do you deal with the dullest house work ever?
Not usually necessary. Only occasionally. And those stupid all-cotton sheets I bought. =( I only iron when I watch TV and am not stitching. This happens about once every two months, LOL!
10. you reckon there’re even duller things than ironing? what is it?! ;D
OH YES! Cleaning the shower!!! Or mopping the floor. They are equally horrible. And you can't dull the pain by watching TV while cleaning the shower. Mine's a walk-in, and to do it right takes about 40 minutes. UGH. This is the main reason I hire a cleaning lady. =)
11. is there a TV commercial you like? (makes you laugh, takes you back to old times, reminds you of someone you know, ..)
We don't watch very many commercials now that we record everything with Windows Media Center and watch it through the Xbox. But I do like the one with the little kid dressed as Darth Vader (it's advertising a car I can't recall at the moment). His melodramatic motion waving his father aside makes me laugh every time.
And, last but not least, here are McKenna's questions!
1. What time of day do you prefer to stitch?
Afternoon, but that almost never happens!
2. Three favorite colors?
Same as McKenna, but in a different order...Blue, Purple, Green. Although actually, it's probably more like Cobalt Blue, Teal Blue, and Turquoise. =)
3. Do you have a sweet tooth?
A better question is, do I have any teeth that aren't sweet? (Spoiler: The answer is no.) Being of Swiss descent, I demand to keep up with "my people" in per capita chocolate consumption. The cake is not a lie around here.
4. Do you stitch for charity?
Sadly, no...I have so little stitching time that it's all for me! (Or for gifts.) Lest you think I'm completely heartless, we do support several charities each year...just monetarily!
5. Aida, Linen, or Evenweave?
Linen! Evenweave is also nice to stitch on, but I don't like the look of the finished projects as much.
6. What month is your birthday in?
February. Stupid Winter.
7. Do you like to cook?
Yes!! IF I have time and am not rushing to produce dinner. But I like baking much better.
8. How long have you been blogging?
9. Who taught you to cross stitch?
My mom...see #7 of Chiara's questions. =)
10. Favorite flower?
Tulip. Or peony!
11. Have you ever soiled the cloth you're stitching on?
Yes, but fortunately only on the border, and not with anything that stained, so I was able to wash it out.
|Is it possible you have any more questions about me??? Wait...don't answer that.|